Captain's Log


Guest Book


Alberg 35 Site

Alberg 35 Members

2012 June

2012/06/03 - The weather has stopped cooperating and it was a cool, damp, and rainy weekend. Fortunately, the cover is still reasonably intact and I was able to get some things done on deck.

Two coats of varnish made their way to the teak trim around the companionway and the outside of the cockpit coamings. The wood is beginning to look alive again!

At the same time, I was able to get the steaming light on the mast repaired and mounted. The missing set screw turned out to be a standard 4 x 40 machine screw and I actually had a spare in my junk bin. The light with its new LED lamp has been mounted and wired to the mast.

Not so lucky with the electric horn that I was going to mount to the spreaders. I decided to test the horn with a battery, and it doesn't begin to make a sound at all. Tests with a multimeter confirmed an open circuit in the horn, so I guess I'll have to make another trip to a store to find a replacement.

New LED spreader lights were shipped from the vendor in Florida and should arrive some time this week. Once they are mounted, the spreaders are ready to be reinstalled.

The final task this week was to put the first coat of paint down in the cockpit. This proved to be an exercise in deliberately painting oneself into a corner! Sounds easy until you try to reach down into the cockpit (with a head cold!) to get the last bits -- all while trying to avoid the freshly varnished cockpit coamings. I guess I'll have to review the sequencing of tasks...

2012/06/09 - Some progress today thanks to some help from crew members Jon and Christina.

A working horn was installed on the port spreader. Since there is not enough wiring in the mast to support anything more, the bottom of the mast was removed and a snake was fished from the spreaders down to the bottom. There should be enough room to run the extra wiring down the inside of the mast step so no extra holes have to be drilled through the deck.

Also spent some time tracing the wiring in the mast to ensure correct polarity for the new spreader lights. Since they're LEDs, they require a specific termination to positive and ground in order to function. Hook them up reversed and they won't work at all. It was a good thing I checked, as the plugs for the lights were wired opposite the way I had wired the sockets on the mast!

The stern pushpit rail was reinstalled and is now solidly attached to the deck. Some too-short bolts for the port side lifeline gate stanchions were also reinstalled with adequate bolts to make everything solid. The remaining stanchion for the bow pulpit was not rebedded today as the bolts I purchased (1/4-20 x 2 inches) to do the job were too large in diameter. Nest time at the store I'll have to look for something smaller like a #12.

Also reinstalled today were the two new bow cleats, the main bow cleat in the center of the foredeck, and the D-ring hold-down point for the spinnaker pole downhaul block. The two stern cleats were also reinstalled.

The gunwales were completely sanded except for the areas around the genoa car tracks and all received the first coat of varnish. Gunwale areas around the bow received their third and fourth coats of varnish today as well.

Teak trim around the companionway received its 7th, 8th and 9th coats today. The masking tape can come off tomorrow and then the instrument panel can be reinstalled.

The mast was lifted off of its support timbers in the cockpit and the support was relocated to the aft deck so as to free up the remaining space in the cockpit for deck painting.

Finally, the grab rails for the coach roof were reinstalled today.

By this time it was pretty dark outside, so after I put the tools away for the night, I mixed up a gallon of non-skid deck paint. Some experimentation earlier in the week had me arrive at the formula of three parts white to one part "Leather Brown". This produces something that looks like a light shade of "chocolate milk". I also added two bags of Rustoleum non-skid compound and stirred it in as thoroughly as I could.

With the paint mixed up, I put a trial coat on the cockpit locker lids before retiring. We'll see how it looks (and feels!) tomorrow.

2012/06/10 - The trial coat of non-skid looked good, but the coverage was not 100%, so a second coat was added early in the day. By the end of the day the coat was dry and the panels looked (and felt) quite good. I can't wait to see how it will look with the deck completed.

2012/06/12 - A thoroughly wet and damp day with nearly continuous rain, but time is running out and things have to be finished up.

The remainder of the cockpit and coaming was sanded now that the mast timbers are out of the way. A coat of deck paint followed. Unfortunatley, the teak had gotten wet from some rain being blown under the tarp, so varnishing will have to wait.

Wiring for the new horn was run through the mast and terminated.

The instrument panel was reinstalled and instruments were remounted and wired.

2012/06/13 - A flurry of activity today, like cramming for a final. The day started with a trip downtown to pick up 20 sheets of plywood to use as a temporary "road" for the truck to back across the yard tomorrow. Fortunately, one of the maintenance groups at work had some that they use for similar purposes and I was allowed to borrow them.

After work, crew members Rebecca, Jim and Scott stopped by to help take down the canopy over the boat and to secure the heavy things for transit. The mast was lowered to the deck and secured and the refinished boom was hoisted up to the starboard side deck and lashed down for transit.

Rebecca also helped by securing the cabin and getting all of the loose parts, tools, supplies and odds-and-ends organized and put away. You can actually see the cabin sole again!

The fun begins tomorrow at 07:00 when the truck is scheduled to arrive.

2012/06/14 - Transported to Watkins Glen and launched! Getting out of the yard, however, was an adventure. Watch the video here.

2012/06/17 - Painted cockpit, varnished some brightwork and applied some non-skid over the weekend.

2012/06/18 - The mast was stepped this afternoon, but we had our share of small adventures in the process.

After carefully installing the brand new Windex on the masthead, I very thoroughly broke it into several pieces pulling out of the slip and smashing it against a piling. Grr!

The the carefully installed wiring for the horn did not fit through the base of the mast while we were trying to step it and I had to cut the wire in order to get the mast stepped.

I dropped one of the clevis pins overboard as we were securing shrouds and stays. Of course, this was a critical one and I committed the sin of not having a spare... (Many thanks to Peter, my neighbor in the next slip, who happened to have one of the correct size!)

One of the brand new spreader lights is not working. This means a future trip aloft to check on the problem. Hopefully it's as simple as reversed polarity or an open contact in one of the connectors. *Sigh*

On a more positive note, the anchor platform was reattached to the bow today and looks great!

The calendar for the next few days is unforgiving, so the boat will be left to rest in her slip and "settle in" a bit before I try to tension up the rigging.

2012/06/23 - Spent the afternoon at the marina and, with the help of Dick and Michael, was able to get the boom off the deck and onto the mast where it belonged. This helped free up some space so the decks could get a good washing in preparation for the application of non-skid paint.

The next step was to mask off the deck. We started with the coach roof and got it all masked off in a little over an hour. Dick and I then each took a tray of paint and a small roller and applied the non-skid. This, too, only took a little over an hour.

While we were doing this, Michael very patiently used a razor to remove excess silicone sealant from around the portlights.

Little by little, Tomfoolery is beginning to look like a proper sailboat!

2012/06/24 - Another sunny day but with a few more clouds and a bit more humidity, but still good for painting.

The main deck was masked off from bow back to the primary winches and then the non-skid paint was applied to the foredeck area before it got too late in the day. Many thanks to crew members Jon and Kristina who stopped by today to help.

The manual bilge pump was also removed in order to fix a problem with the mount for it so that it is more solid and easily used once it gets reinstalled.

Areas painted on the coachroof yesterday were touched up where coverage was not complete. This area should be ready for general use, now.

The ice box cover was also brought home so that the handles on it could be replaced. One of the old handles is missing and the other is bent. The new ones should work just fine, except that the old ones are round and the new ones are rectangular. Now we just have to fit the square peg into the round hole...

2012/06/25 - The plywood mounting bracket for the manual bilge pump was rebuilt out of a piece of aluminum plate. Hopefully this will provide better rigidity to the mount than the plywood one did. The problem with the plywood bracket was that the pump could only be supported at two points instead of four due to the thickness of the plywood.

We'll find out this coming weekend if the new mount works as designed!

2012/06/30 - More progress to report! The majority of the deck has been painted and all of it has been masked off with tape. Should be able to complete the application of non-skid paint tomorrow, if everything works out. All that remains is the starboard side deck and the aft deck around the lazarette.

Many thanks to Jim for helping with the tedious chore of masking all those deck fittings on the aft deck!

Previous | Next